Graduate and undergraduate students from the College of Engineering participated at the SHPE convention comprised conferences that align with national programs: Pre-College, Professionals in STEM, Academic, SHPEtinas: Igniting Latinas in STEM, and Tech & Innovation.
What were the outcomes?
- Engineering Science Symposium: UK students competed and presented their research at the oral and poster competition.
- Academia Conference: Learned about how to become competitive in graduate school applications, career options, etc.
- Graduate Institute: students participated at workshops for a career in academia or industry.
- Career Fair: +200 companies represented seeking students to fill internship and full time positions.
Faculty Chair Committee
Organized the Graduate Institute workshop track as well as Distinguished Lecture series for the 2018 SHPE convention.
About the program
NdC’s purpose is to engage and inspire Hispanic youth (and their parents) to pursue STEM degrees and careers and ultimately advance SHPE’s mission and vision.
NdC’s objectives are aligned with high-quality STEM afterschool programs that have proven to yield STEM specific
benefits with continued STEM education and career paths later in life.
These objectives are grouped into three (3) main categories:
- improved attitudes towards STEM fields and careers;
- increased STEM knowledge and skills; and
- higher likelihood of graduation and pursuing a STEM career.